STEM- Through Playful Learning - Connecting Science, Technology & Maths
- July 3rd - 10th
- Facilitator: Colm O'Callaghan
- Format: BLENDED ONLINE
- Fee: €50.00
Synchronous - 10 hrs live online via Zoom.
- Monday July 3rd 9.30am – 2pm
- Tuesday July 4th 9.30am – 11.30am
- Thursday July 6th 9.30am – 2pm
Asynchronous - 10 hrs online activities to be completed in your own time
This innovative online Summer course has been developed to provide teachers with a deeper engagement with the STEM subjects and to explore the meaningful integration of STEM into teaching and learning across the curriculum. Collaborative professional reflection will form the bedrock of the course so that together, participants will co-create enriching learning experiences that support the student’s development.
Through engagement with the synchronous elements of the course, they will work collaboratively to trial activities that foster the curious mind of the child and pose real world questions, relevant to the lives of the children in Irish classrooms. The asynchronous elements of the course will develop within teachers an opportunity to reflect on an area of need within their own STEM teaching and create a bank of resources that can be meaningfully deployed in the coming academic year. The teachers will focus specifically on the key skills of observation, reflection, predicting, analysing and communicating; identifying how these skills might be developed from infants to 6th class and within Special Education settings.
- Enabling enquiry-based Science that is informed by problem solving
- Exploring the local environment as a source for ongoing scientific enquiry
- Availing of digital technology to illustrate comprehension style problems
- Recognising and appreciating the relationships between Mathematics and Science
- Using online maths manipulatives and virtual reality to illustrate key mathematical concepts
- Drawing connections between Language learning and STEM
- Employing effective formative assessment procedures to chart STEM progress
- Using STEM as an integrated element in SESE
- Creating pathways for whole school STEM learning
- Planning thematic approaches to STEM teaching based on individual contexts and school settings