Literacy Teaching Approaches for EAL Learners
Participants will …
- Acquire a better understanding of the basic language acquisition theories relevant in the Irish primary setting.
- Gain confidence in their ability to work with developing multilingual students to encourage the use of home language to scaffold English language.
- Gather practical ideas about classroom strategies and activities that work well with all learners in the class.
- Incorporate CLIL approaches to encourage content language development in English and in the children’s home language/s.
- Access a list of recommended websites, apps and Padlets for use with English language learners.
- Understand how to structure yearly, fortnightly and school support plans for English language learners using the Up and Away EAL Curriculum.
- Be introduced to the PSAK (Primary School Assessment Kit) as well as other EAL checklists.
Annie Asgard is an English Language Support Teacher in Claddagh National School in Galway City. She has been active in the area of EAL teaching since 2006. She is currentlyan Assistant Principal II with responsibility for the English as a Language student cohort and is also the Equality and Diversity Liaison.
She works as a field researcher on the Children’s Lives Study at UCD and engages with multilingual families in case study research in the area of the daily lived experiences of children in primary school.
In late September 2020, she was elected Chairperson of the English Language Support Teachers Association of Ireland (ELSTA)